In the cellar a large hole has opened beneath the small round "cold" room Sereth used to store perishables. No one has entered the chamber below the cold room but the sound of flowing water can be heard faintly, coming from somewhere far below.
Sereth has unknowingly stumbled upon the ancient ruins (or fully active if the GM so wishes) of a little known dwarven passion: the gladiatorial arena! A long dead dwarven king had the arena built to entertain himself and his friends. Typically they would travel by small watercraft from somewhere upstream and dock at the small bay. Their are rooms for banquets and relaxing as well as the gaol where the creatures used in the arena were kept. A balcony overlooks the arena where the King and friends could observe the battles waging below. The small complex of rooms near the balcony would serve as visiting chambers, sleeping rooms, and even a small study the King's chief mystic would study the slain creatures' bodies to look foretelling the future.
Though the King and those who served him are long gone there are still things that haunt the shadowed corners of the arena complex:
- Numerous ghosts of creatures and men slain in the arena haunt the actual arena floor. GMs should flood this area with dozens of strange and unique ghosts. Perhaps some can hurt the players and some unable to touch the physical world.
- The balcony area is haunted by one of the King's rivals. He had the dwarven prince slain as he watched gladiators fight below. The ghost of the Prince has gone insane watching the ghost of the arena fight for a millennia
- A handful of bugbears have moved into one of the rooms near the docking bay. Survivors of a vicious attack on their home, these bugbears are desperate and aggressive. If cornered they will fight to the death with everything they have.
- A young Otyugh has taken up residence n one of the northern rooms. It prowls the ledge along the underwater stream, cleaning the path of waste and debris. An astute observer might notice the strange cleanliness of the ledge when they first come across it. This Otyugh is not especially violent and will be willing to work with the players in exchange for friendship and food.
- A very young Aboleth has discovered the water of the bay area and recently moved in. A day ago it enslaved one of the bugbears and is having him collect food for the young Aboleth ot feast upon.
If you enjoy the maps I post on this blog, please consider becoming a patron of the maps I produce by visiting my Patreon page and signing up today! Patrons enjoy additional versions of the maps as well as extras that are not available here on the blog.